In 1844 Bernard Pratte became the tenth Mayor of St. Louis.
In June the Mississippi River flooded the City. Five hundred people were driven from their homes. The river was from three to six miles wide in some places. It was a record flood in St. Louis history, and for many years this high water mark was shown on the front Harbor and Wharf building on the levee. A Flood Relief Ordinance was signed by the Mayor on June 26.
Carr Square was given to the City as a public park by William C. Carr in 1844. An Ordinance accepting the gift and providing for its survey was approved by the Mayor on July 6, 1884. The City's food inspection regulations were expanded as Inspectors were authorized to check and grade butter, lard and tallow. Lucas Market, located in the middle of what is now Twelfth Street, was provided for by Ordinance of August 8, 1845. It extended down the center of the street from St. Charles to Market Street. There actually were two streets with the market between them. This market was abolished in 1882 to make Twelfth Street 150 feet wide.
Gas lights were first used to light the streets during Mayor Pratte's administration. The levee was paved with stone blocks. In 1845 the City Engineer was given authority to erect a City Hospital and it was completed in 1846. Work continued on the improvement of the harbor and wharf.