In 1829 Daniel D. Page became the second Mayor of St. Louis.
He served four consecutive one-year terms. The present Seventh Street was then the western City boundary line. Fourth Street was surveyed and graded during his administration. Third Street was widened, graded, and paved. The cholera disease broke out at Jefferson Barracks and was communicated to the town, but this time it was soon stamped out.
During Daniel Page's administration a Night Watch was established for the protection of the citizens. Heavy fines were imposed for operating gambling and disorderly houses. Several types of businesses were made subject to license regulations. Registration of all carts and drays was required. Small pox vaccination procedures were set up under the direction of the Health Officer. Inspection of flour, beef and pork was required.
Street cleaning and refuse collection started at this time. The Mayor was authorized by City Ordinance to purchase two strong, water-tight, one-horse carts to be used for cleaning the streets. Two men were employed from the first of May to the first of October to haul away all kinds of filth and dirt from the streets. They also hauled away the garbage from kitchens daily.
In 1831 the City's part in a joint Waterworks venture was provided for. It was financed both publicly and privately and operated by a private company. $25,000 was borrowed by the City to start construction.