In 1841 John D. Daggett became the seventh Mayor of St. Louis.
At this time the City had a two-house City Council. The first City Charter of 1823 had provided for a Board of Alderman only. This was changed by the Missouri Legislature in 1839. During the twenty year period from 1839 to 1859 there was a Board of Alderman and a House of Delegates. A bill had to pass both houses before being sent to the Mayor for approval. The City's population had jumped from 4,977 in 1830 to 16,469 in 1840.
During Mayor Daggett's administration an Engineering Department was created. This department was composed of the City Engineer, Street Commissioner, and the Superintendent of the Waterworks. The office of City Counselor dates from this time. This office was created to draft the City's contracts needed by the Council and the Mayor. The City Counselor prosecuted all suits by the City and represented the City in all suits against it. His annual salary was $600, and in addition, he received a 3 per cent commission on all claims collected for the City. The harbor improvement work of the previous administration was continued.
The City received the site of Soulard Market by the terms of the will of Julia C. Soulard. A condition of the gift was that the area must be used exclusively for market purposes. The first market building was erected there in 1848.